Digital Artifacts

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Interview in Second Life

My friend emailed me this.....Wall Street Journal titled “A Job Interview You Don’t Have to Show Up For.” Apparently some big companies are experimenting with holding interviews in Second Life!! Personally, I think it’s a bit silly - but I guess I can see the merits if the job is for a programmer or tech savvy person.
But on Second Life, job seekers who are less tech-savvy are finding they can wind up shooting themselves in their virtual feet. When they start, some people have a hard time designing and controlling their avatars. Stephan Dowler, 37, a chef in Frederick, Md., went through an online training course offered by TMP before the recruitment event.
“I spent six hours working on the character and figuring out how to get around,” says Mr. Dowler, who applied for a job as an executive chef at Sodexho.
He named his avatar Estephan Dollinger. “I gave him a big nose and brown eyes like me,” he says. But he couldn’t figure out how to dress the avatar in a suit for the interview, so Estephan showed up wearing jeans and a pullover.
Mr. Dowler didn’t have any major technical problems, although during the job interview, he couldn’t figure out how to manipulate the avatar to sit in the chair — so he sat it on top instead. (Others at the event began floating in the air while doing their interviews.) It sometimes became confusing when different Sodexho employees asked him questions at the same time, he says.
I guess if you’re interviewing for Google and you can’t get your avatar to stay on the ground you might not be cut out for the job … but I still think you should see and talk to people in person - even if it is just for their second interview

2 Comments:

Blogger Innes said...

very interesting! but puts some people at a distinct advantage/disadvantage depending on your level of techno-savviness!

copy and paste for the actual article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118229876637841321.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top

November 11, 2007 at 8:00 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

This is fascinating to me! I can't even imagine doing an interview like that. I'm not sure how productive a process that would be unless it was for a tech related field...and even still it seems odd to me.

November 13, 2007 at 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home