Digital Artifacts

Monday, October 1, 2007

Second Life - Finally!

Hello Everyone!

I finally had some time to play around on second life and found it to be a truly bizarre experience. As someone who basically only uses the internet to check email, download pictures and music, and check out the occasional youtube clip, I really can't imagine how people spend so much time playing this game! I also felt so weird creating my new "self" and every aspect of that new "self," down to actual physical dimensions--I wonder what people's choices reveal about them....mmmm...On a side note, I had a very interesting conversation with some of my second graders about their version of second life--webkinz--and not only were they able to describe in detail how the site works, they were also able to make connections between what they were doing on-line and what happened off-line in their own lives. For example, apparently there is a way to invite friends over in webkinz world for "playdates" and one student shared that she only invites friends to play in webkinz world if they are not "in a fight" with her at recess. It is amazing to think about the impact this type of digital interaction will have on the socialization habits and behaviors of students as they get older.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

This Webkinz world is all very interesting. Your story about the children in your class really highlights the aspect of this kind of social interaction that concerns me. It seems that there is a danger that this online world may allow the kids to create a disconnect from "reality" and therefore enable them to behave with each other in a way that they wouldn't in face to face contact. BUT it is exactly this concern that I really want to investigate through this class. Has anyone else been able to get feedback from their classes about online communities?

October 2, 2007 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Rachel, I am so glad you posted that comment about second life because I was thinking the same thing. I actually found it to be a little "creepy" at times but at the same time quite entertaining. I have never been a fan of chat rooms or playing virtual computer games with other players. Like you said it was so interesting to see all the different choices you have to customize your own look. and all the different jobs they offer. I was actually asked to submit a resume for a job I applied for! As much as it creeps me out, I still find myself exploring this digital world over and over again!!

October 4, 2007 at 10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home