Digital Artifacts

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Review of CSI:NY and cbs.com

I watched the episode of CSI:NY last night and I thought it was really interesting how they tracked down suspects using Second Life. I never realized how popular this SL really was until now. I would really like to know how the detective had such an easy time controlling his avatar when this was the first time he ever used the program. He wasn't walking into any walls. Thats TV for you. LOL!

Did anyone have a chance to go to cbs.com and solve the case? I was going to do it last night but it was way too late by the time the show ended. Maybe I will try it out today.

For anybody who did not watch, you can go to cbs.com and help solve this particular case using Second Life.
http://alpha.cbs.com/primetime/csi_ny/second_life/

2 Comments:

Blogger Colin and/or Michele said...

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date with the CSI Second Life transmedia event!

I logged onto the CSI island last night and found the way they've set things up really quite interesting as a cultural phenomenon. I did have some trouble getting started until I worked ou that you need to actually "wear" the toolbar they give you at the start (you have to click the billboard to get it--you'll see what I mean when you log on), then open your inventory and find the toolbar (under "Objects") then drag it onto your avatar. That gets the audio and video stuff working nicely (provided you have streaming audio and video enabled under "Preferences"--which you access via your menu bar long the top of your client screen). Then it's a matter of following the red arrows and clicking on evidence stuff.

I *am* having trouble with the blue-light evidence tables though when I go to analyze my data, so if anyone has any tips on that, I'd appreciate 'em!

I am also ready to solve one case but can't find the Cisco Telepresence Center. So if you find where it is, let me know!

So far, though, the cases I'm working on are a little lock-stepped and are simply a matter of finding clues located in pretty obvious locations so all I'm really doing is clicking and listening and following directions and not really having to think.

I believe this is just training though for a more complex case that involves discussing possibilities with other players etc. I'll let you know as soon as I move on to that particular case.

October 26, 2007 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger JackieK said...

I have been trying to log into CSI island all night. When I get to the page that is suppose to teleport me, I keep getting a screen that says the page cannot be displayed. I know its not my server because I have been on other sites. The actual website must be having some technical difficulties. I am going to try again tomorrow.

October 29, 2007 at 11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home